Tuscan White Bean Soup with Swiss Chard & Smoked Ham
- 1T olive oil
- 2-3 smoked ham shanks or hocks
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 (16-oz) package small white beans, soaked overnight (or use quick-soak method)
- 1t basil
- 1t oregano
- 1t thyme
- 1t red pepper flakes
½t mustard powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1T Worcestershire sauce
- 3T sherry vinegar
- 1T honey
- 1 (32-oz) pkg. vegetable, chicken, or beef broth
- 1 (26-oz) can tomatoes
- 3c water
- 1 large bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, cleaned, and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Set to "sear" and add oil. Add ham and lightly brown.
Add onions and carrots and sauté until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, thyme, fennel, red pepper flakes, and mustard powder. Stir to coat the vegetables and meat.
- Add tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, honey, and bay leaves. Stir.
- Add white beans and water. Season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Place Swiss chard on top of beans. Stir for 1 minute so chard wilts down. Ensure the contents are not going over the maximum fill line.
- Close lid and lock. Set to "soup" and adjust for 12 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release until all pressure is released.
- Open. Remove ham and bay leaves. Let cool slightly.
- Remove meat from the bones.
- Add meat back into soup. Stir.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve.