Spinach Pie Spanakopita
- ¼c pine nuts
- 1T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, 7oz.
- 3 boxes frozen spinach, 10oz. each, thawed, squeezed to remove excess water
- ¾t sea salt, or to taste
- ¾t freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 12oz. Feta cheese, crumble
- 2T dried dill
- 3T dried parsley
- ½c butter, 1 stick, melted
- 12oz. Phyllo dough, 16 sheets, thawed
- Open the oven Door and slide the Wire Rack into Position 3. Press Function and turn the Select dial to Bake. Press Time and use the Select dial to adjust the cooking time to 5 minutes. Press START/PAUSE to begin preheating. Pour the pine nuts onto a Baking Pan.
- Once preheated, the oven will beep twice, display “Ready”, countdown for 10 seconds, and then beep once to give you time to insert your food. Open the oven Door and place the Baking Pan onto the Wire Rack in Position 3. Close the oven Door to begin to Bake (350˚F with 20% Rear Heat, 40 % Top Heat, 40% Bottom Heat, and Fan Speed 1) for 5 minutes, after which the oven will beep three times and display “END”.
- Open the oven Door and remove the Baking Pan, placing it on a trivet to cool. Brush a new Baking Pan with the melted butter and set aside.
- While the pine nuts are toasting, pour the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onions and sweat them for 3 minutes. Then, add the spinach and season with salt and black pepper. Heat the spinach for 2 minutes before removing it from the heat and allowing it to cool.
- Place the eggs, Feta cheese, parsley, and dill in a bowl and blend well.
- Once spinach mixture has cooled, add it to the Feta mixture and the toasted pine nuts and mix well, tasting to adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Assemble the Spanakopita by placing 1 sheet of Phyllo dough onto the buttered Baking Pan and brushing it with melted butter. Repeat this process for a total of 8 sheets.
- Press Menu and turn the Select dial to Menu Preset 65 (Bake at 350˚F with 20% Rear Heat, 40% Top Heat, 40% Bottom Heat, and Fan Speed 1). Press START/PAUSE to begin preheating.
- Return to assembling the Spanakopita, spread the spinach mixture onto the buttered Phyllo dough, flatten it evenly and top with the remaining 8 Phyllo dough sheets and brush on melted butter. Cut (or score) the Spanakopita into 18 squares.
- Once preheated, the oven will beep twice, display “Ready”, countdown for 10 seconds and then beep once to give you time to insert your food. Open the oven Door and place the Baking Pan on the Wire Rack in Position 3. Close the oven Door to begin to Bake for 50 minutes, after which the oven will beep three times and display “END”.
- Remove the pie, place it on a trivet and allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.