- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
1-1½ cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 pounds of seafood I use shrimp, peeled and deveined, mussels that have been cleaned and beard removed
- 1 cup peas, frozen or fresh (if fresh, parboil them for 5 minutes)
- In large heavy skillet, saute onion in butter and oil over Medium-Low heat until the onion is softened. Add the rice, and cook it, stirring it, for 3 minutes.
- Add the green pepper, red pepper, garlic, saffron, and1 cup of the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, on Medium-High (375 degrees) stirring it. Lower heat to Medium-Low (175 degrees) cover pan and let simmer for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes add the clams and or the mussels, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Add, but do not stir in shrimp, peas and if all the liquid has been absorbed, add remaining ½ cup of broth. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and just firm and the rice is tender.