Roast Chicken with Spanish Paprika and Herb-Roasted Smash
- 5 lb. roasting chickens at room temperature
- 4 large sprigs fresh thyme plus 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2T sea salt
- 2½ t hot smoked Spanish paprika divided
- 1 lb. baby potatoes (1 to 1½ inches in diameter)
- 2T plus 2 t extra-virgin olive oil
- Butterfly the chicken.
- Tuck wing tips behind shoulder. Using fingertips, separate skin from chicken over breasts and thighs. Insert 1 thyme sprig between skin and flesh over each breast and each thigh. Mix sea salt and paprika in small bowl. Sprinkle all over chickens.
- Place the bird on enamel roasting pan. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the breast set to 165°F.
- Preheat Bravo to 375°F. Turn on. cook until internal temperature 165°F. Remove the birds from the oven loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes before carving or serving.
Meanwhile, toss potatoes with 1 T chopped thyme. Return to oven and roast until tender and skins wrinkle slightly, about 30 minutes. Coarsely smash. Cut chickens into breast, wing, thigh, and leg pieces. Transfer to platter. Drizzle some drippings over; Serve.