Refried Black Beans
- 1 lb black beans, dried, rinsed
- 6 c water
- 1 T cumin, ground
- 1 t chili powder
½ t Mexican oregano, dried
¼ C lard
- 1 white onion, small dice
1 jalapeño pepper, small dice
- Sea salt
- Cotija cheese, crumbled (garnish)
- Cilantro, rough chop (garnish)
- Add beans, water, cumin, chili powder, and oregano to pressure cooker. Close and lock lid. Set cooker to "beans" and press "start/stop". When done, allow pressure cooker to naturally release pressure, about 30 minutes.
- Before opening lid, quick release to make sure all pressure has been released. Carefully open lid and remove beans and remaining liquid. Reserve 2c of cooking liquid and set aside.
Clean pressure cooker pot and return to cooker. Set cooker to "sear" and add lard, onion, and jalapeño pepper. Sauté until onions begin to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Return beans to pressure cooker and stir. Check seasoning and add salt, if needed.
- Ladle beans into a blender, food processor, or use an immersion blender to blend beans until smooth. Use reserved liquid to help blend and get desired consistency.
- Serve hot with Cotija cheese and cilantro as garnish.