Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- 2 medium onions, cut in half lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ large green bell pepper, large diced
½ large red bell pepper, large diced
½ large yellow bell pepper, large diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon sugar
1½ cups beef or chicken stock
- In NuWave Pressure Cooker, heat olive oil on Max/Sear.
- Brown sausage for about 4 minutes per side.
- Reserve sausage on platter.
- Add onions to Pressure Cooker
- saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and peppers
- saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with black pepper and salt.
- Return sausage to Pressure Cooker.
- Add tomatoes and beef stock.
- Cover and lock in push plate.
- Turn pressure regulator to 2 for high pressure.
Once pressure has built, lower temperature to Medium (275°F) and cook for 8 minutes.
- Once cooking time is complete, release steam by moving pressure regulator to steam release position.
- Unlock push plate.
- Serve as is.
- Make sure you add no more than 1⁄4 cup of oil or fat to the Pressure Cooker.
- Save the extra broth and utilize it by cooking with rice or pasta.
- Before adding sausage, tomatoes and beef stock to the Pressure Cooker, feel free to add more olive oil for extra flavor.