Home Made Pie Crust
- 1¼ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ c butter, unsalted, cold
- ¼ c shortening
- Pinch sea salt
- Ice-cold water (add one teaspoon at a time until correct consistency has formed)
- Place flour, salt, butter, and shortening in a mixing bowl. Combine ingredients with hands until small pebbles form.
Add cold water 1t at a time until dough begins to hold together and form a ball. Do not over handle the dough.
Place ball of dough onto lightly floured surface and flatten. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to the size of pie tin. There should be enough dough for a 9-inch pie tin.
- Place pastry into pie tin. Crimp the edges of the crust. Freeze for 30 minutes to firm up the pastry.
- Remove pie crust from freezer. Prick the bottom of crust to prevent bubbling during baking.
If pie calls for a baked crust, bake at 400°F: For the first 8-10 minutes of baking, keep the edges of pie covered with foil and then remove for the last10 minutes. Bake until golden brown.