Grilled Vegetable Pita
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch butcher black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
- 1 zebra eggplant, sliced on long bias
- 1 zucchini, sliced on long bias
- 1 yellow squash, sliced on long bias
1 red onion, sliced in ½-inch discs
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, gills removed
- 4 pieces pita bread
- Red leaf lettuce for garnish
- Make herb oil by mixing rosemary, salt, pepper and extra-virgin olive oil, set aside.
- Warm Cast Iron Grill on Max/Sear.
- Place two pitas on grill and heat for 2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with remaining pitas and set aside to keep warm.
- Dip vegetables into herb oil, making sure to remove excess oils, and lay out on grill.
- Transfer pita pockets to dish
- pry open each half and cover to keep warm.
- Continue grilling vegetables on Max/Sear for about 2 minutes on each side, until heated through.
- Once all vegetables are cooked, remove from grill and layer in pita pockets, working quickly.
- Garnish with red leaf lettuce.
- Herb oil can be made with any type of herb and can be made ahead of time.
- Do not season vegetables until the end; the salt will dry them out.
- Your favorite lettuce can be used for garnish.
- Pitas are easier to slice open after toasting.