Grilled Passion Fruit Shrimp Skewers
- 2 lbs. tiger shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 15- 20 bamboo skewers (soaked in water 15-30 min.)
- 1 T annatto powder
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ c pure passion fruit juice
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 12 lime slices
2 T melted butter
- ½ T ground achiote
- 4-5 jalapeños, seeded, cut into large chunks
- 1 c cilantro leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
For Achiote butter
For Jalapeño-Cilantro Salsa
- In a bowl, mix annatto, cumin, chili powder, olive oil, and passion fruit. Add shrimp and mix well. Marinate shrimp for 2 hours.
- Preheat Bravo and set to bake at 400°F.
Put shrimp on skewers. (For a main meal, put 5-6 on each skewer; for an appetizer, put 3-4 on each.)
Brush shrimp with melted annatto butter. Place shrimp skewers in enamel baking pan. Place on cooking rack in position 3. Bake at 400°F for 3-4 min. When done, shrimp will be pink and opaque.
- When done, baste with additional annatto butter.
- Place jalapeños, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice in a blender. Combine all ingredients to make salsa.
Serve skewers with lime slices and jalapeño-cilantro salsa.