- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks, white section only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled, quartered and medium diced
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut in half and sliced on long bias
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced on long bias with leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
½ head purple cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 medium potatoes, quartered and medium diced
- 2 bay leaves, fresh
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 8 ounces smoked bacon, julienne cut (optional)
- Kosher salt & butcher black pepper to taste
In 5.5-quart PerfectGreen pot, heat butter on Medium-High (375 degrees).
- Add leeks and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cook for about 45 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add bacon and cook for 2 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add remaining vegetables to pot.
- Add chicken stock and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add beans.
- Allow soup to gently simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until potato and cabbage are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and serve while still hot.