Fennel & Farro Chicken Soup
- 4 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 c chicken breasts, 1-½-inch cubes or shredded
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled, small dice
- 2 fennel bulbs, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
1-½ c farro, uncooked
- 6 c chicken stock
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- Fennel leaves (optional)
- Carrot top leaves (optional)
FOR BOUQUET GARNI
Set pressure cooker to "sear", adjust time to 15 minutes, press "start/stop", and add 2T olive oil. When hot, add chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer to holding dish; set aside.
- Continue, with pressure cooker set to "sear", adding remaining 2T olive oil, onions, carrots, fennel, and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, farro, chicken stock, and bouquet garni.
- Close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "soup", adjust time to 5 minutes, and press "start/stop".
- When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening lid.
- Carefully open lid. Check to see that farro is soft and cooked. If not, close and lock lid and adjust time for an additional 3 minutes. If farro is done, return chicken to pot and stir.
- Remove bay leaves and bouquet garni. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy.