Eggplant & Black Olive Spread
Sauces, jams & condiments
- 4 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 lbs eggplant, skin peeled in strips, 2-inch cubes (Stripe eggplant by leaving some strips of skin)
- 4 cloves garlic, whole divided
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 c water
¼ c lemon juice, fresh
- 1 T tahini
¼ c black olives, pitted
- 1 T fresh thyme leaves
- Black pepper, fresh ground
Set pressure cooker to "sear" and add 3T oil. Adjust time to 10 minutes and press start/stop. When hot, add eggplant to cover bottom of pressure cooker. Sauté eggplant until one side is caramelized.
- Add 3 cloves garlic. Flip eggplant once caramelized and add remaining eggplant, salt, and water.
- Close and lock lid, set pressure cooker to "steam/veggies", and adjust time to 3 minutes. Press start/stop.
- When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening lid.
- Carefully open lid and drain out brown liquid in pressure cooker. Add 1 raw, peeled garlic clove. Add lemon juice, tahini, and black olives.
- With an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Pour spread into serving vessel and top with thyme leaves, diced black olives, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with toasted bread or crackers.