Classic Crème Brûlée with Red Currants & Strawberries
- 1 qt heavy cream
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean, pod split, seeds scraped out
- 1 c granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 qt hot water
- 6 T red currants
- 3 strawberries, halved
Confectioners' sugar as needed
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add cream, vanilla bean seeds and pod and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove vanilla bean pod and reserve for another use.
In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ c sugar and egg yolks until blended well and color starts to lighten. Add cream a little at a time, stirring continually.
- Pour liquid into 6 (7- to 8-oz) ramekins. Place ramekins onto a large cake pan or roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of ramekins.
- Bake at 300°F 50/50 just until the crème brûlée is set, but still trembling in the center, approximately 30 to 35 minutes.
- Using oven mitts, remove ramekins from roasting pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. Remove crème brûlées the from refrigerator and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
Divide the remaining ½ c sugar equally among the 6 dishes and sprinkle evenly on top of each. Using a kitchen torch, caramelize sugar to form a crispy top for each. Allow crème brûlées to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
To plate, spoon 1T red currants and half of strawberry. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve.