Classic Clam Chowder with New Potatoes
- 3 (10_ to 14-oz) cans of clams, minced
½lb lean bacon (reserve some for garnish) or ½lb salt pork, diced
- 1c onions, diced
- 3c raw potatoes, diced, peeled
- 1t sea salt
¼t white pepper
- 2c half and half
- 2c milk
- 2T butter
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (optional)
- Drain clams and reserve liquid.
- Measure the clam juice, adding enough water to make 4c of liquid, set aside.
Set to "sear" add bacon, and sauté until browned. Remove bacon, set aside on folded paper towels.
Drain off all but _ of the fat and add onions. Sauté for several minutes.
- Add potatoes, sea salt, white pepper, and reserved clam liquid (mixed with water), and bring up to a boil.
- Close lid and lock. Set to "soup" for 10 minutes.
- When done, quick release until all pressure is released. (If you do a natural release, pressure cooker will automatically go into "warm" to keep soup hot
- add final ingredients when you are closer to serving.)
- Open and pour in half and half and milk. Add butter and clams. Stir, garnish with reserved, cooked bacon, and serve.