Chicken Tortilla Soup
Soups & Stews
- 1 large dried pasilla (ancho) chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 large epazote sprig (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 large ripe avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from skin and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ½ cup Mexican crema, sour cream, or crème fraiche for garnish
- 4 cups tortilla chips or tortillas dried overnight in an oven
- 1 large lime, cut into 6 wedges for garnish
- Set Skillet to 375ºF and add oil along with onion and garlic and cook for 7 minutes until golden stirring frequently.
- Scoop out onion and garlic and press down to keep in as much oil as possible. Transfer to a blender. Process until smooth.
- Add onion puree back in and sauté for 6 minutes to form a paste, stirring continuously.
- Reduce to 225ºF, add broth, tomatoes, and epazote and simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt if needed.
- Add chicken to the simmering broth and stir.
- Divide tortillas between serving bowls, top with soup and serve with avocado, cream, and limes.