Chicken and Chickpea Masala
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- ¼ stick butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves, trimmed
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pour olive oil into NuWave Pressure cooker and heat on Medium (275°F).
- Add chicken pieces to Pressure Cooker and brown for 2-3 minutes on both sides, set aside.
- Melt butter in Pressure Cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger to Pressure Cooker and stir lightly for about 15 seconds.
- Add cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Stir frequently for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes and spinach. Cover and continue cooking for about 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Remove cover and add cilantro, lemon juice, chicken stock, and chicken pieces to Pressure Cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and lock in push plate.
- Turn pressure regulator to 2 for high pressure.
- Increase temperature to Medium-High (375°F) and let pressure build.
- Once pressure has built, cook at on Medium-High (375°F) for 15 minutes.
- Shut off PIC and let pressure naturally release for about 10-15 minutes, then turn pressure regulator to steam release position to quickly release pressure.
- Unlock push plate and remove lid.
- Set PIC to Medium (275°F) and add heavy cream, drained chickpeas, and simmer, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately.