- ½ stick butter, unsalted, softened
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ⅛ t almond extract
- Small amount of pink gel food coloring
- 1½ c all-purpose flour
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t sea salt
- ¾ c maraschino cherries, drained, fine chop
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until combined. Add in egg and extracts, beat again.
- Add in a small amount of pink gel food coloring and mix. In separate small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Add in chopped maraschino cherries. Mix by hand until combined. The batter will be thick.
Using a small ice cream scooper, drop dough balls onto a lined baking pan. Press additional chopped cherries into the outsides of the dough balls.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. Do not over bake cookies or they will lose their pink color and turn brown.
- Allow cookies to cool about 15 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Once completely cooled, decorate as desired with half-cherries (optional).