Sauces & Marinades
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan on low.(105)
- Add flour and make roux. Turn up to low-medium (175) and cook flour until starchy taste out of the flour (don’t let brown).
- Stir in liquid, either hot or cold and continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- Add pepper, and mustard. Blend well. Remove from heat and add cheese stirring until melted.
Exchange the milk for a cup of chicken stock and you have a sauce Velouté to be used with chicken dishes. Season Velouté with fresh herbs.