Canning Zucchini Relish
- 12 c shredded zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, small dice
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, small dice
- 4 c white onions, diced
- 5 T canning salt
- 1 T cornstarch
¾ t ground nutmeg
¾ t ground turmeric
1-½ t celery seeds
½ t fresh ground black pepper
- 6 c white sugar
2-½ c white vinegar
- In a large bowl, add zucchini and onions. Toss. Sprinkle with salt, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to can, drain the zucchini mixture using a colander. Rinse well with cool water. Squeeze excess water out; set aside.
- In a large pan, add red and green bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch. Add nutmeg, turmeric, celery seeds, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add zucchini mixture.
- Bring up to a boil over medium-high heat. When boiling, reduce to medium-low heat. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Ladle liquid into canning jars, leaving 1 inch from the top. Make sure rims are clean. If necessary, clean with a damp cloth.
- Place lids on jars and close tight.
Place rack in bottom of pressure cooker. Place jars on the rack. Pour hot water over jars and into inner pot until water reaches ¼ of way up the sides of jars.
- Set pressure cooker to "canning", adjust time to 10 minutes, and press "start/stop".
- When done, natural release for 20 minutes, then do a quick release to make sure all pressure is released before opening lid.
- Open. Using canning tongs, carefully remove hot jars and place on a heat-resistant surface. Allow to cool to room temperature. 1 When jars have completely cooled, remove the screw bands. Lids should be tightly sealed to the jar, and when pressed in the center, they should NOT have any "give" or springing motion. If they do, reprocess immediately.