Cannellini Bean Soup
- 2 c cannellini beans, dried (soaked overnight)
- 2 white onions, 1 quartered, 1 small dice
- 8 cloves garlic, 4 crushed, 4 minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 qts water
- 5 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (28-oz) can whole, peeled tomatoes, drained
½ t red pepper flakes
- 1 T sherry vinegar
- 4 c vegetable stock
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves hand-torn into pieces
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Drain and rinse soaked cannellini beans, reserving 2 qts of liquid; set liquid aside. Add beans to the pressure cooker.
- Add quartered white onion, crushed garlic, bay leaves, and water. Close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "beans" and adjust the time for 25 minutes, and press "start/stop".
- When done, quick release, making sure all pressure is released before opening the lid. Carefully open the lid and remove beans and any liquid to a large bowl. Allow beans to cool.
- Set the pressure cooker to "sear", press "start/stop", and add 3T of oil, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Break up tomatoes, stir in sherry vinegar.
Continue cooking until tomatoes have caramelized, then transfer tomatoes to a plate; set aside.
Add remaining 2T of oil to the pressure cooker, then add diced onions, minced garlic. Sauté until vegetables are soft. Return caramelized tomatoes to the pressure cooker.
- Drain cooked beans and add them to the pressure cooker with 2 qts of the reserved bean liquid, vegetable stock, and Swiss chard.
- Close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "soup" adjust time to 10 minutes and press "start/stop"
- When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening the lid.
- Carefully open. Stir. Season to taste, if necessary. Drizzle olive oil on top and ladle into serving bowls.