Boston Baked Beans
- 1 lb dried navy beans
½ lb thick, smoked bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of sage
- 2 t Dijon mustard
½ c dark molasses
½ c ketchup
¼ c brown sugar
- 8 c water, to soak plus 2½ c water
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse beans well. If possible, soak overnight in pressure cooker or other container with 8c water and 1T sea salt.
- When ready to cook, drain and rinse beans and discard soaking liquid.
- Set to “SEAR” and add bacon.
- When bacon is cooked, take out and drain on paper towel. Leave bacon fat in cooker.
- Add onions, carrot, and garlic to bacon fat and cook for 3 min.
- Add 2½c water, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, bay leaf, thyme, sage, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, bacon, and beans. Stir well.
- Place on Duet Pressure Cooker Lid. Press “PRESSURE COOK”. Press “PROG” and use “START/PAUSE” dial to set to “Beans” and adjust for 35 minutes.
- When done, quick release remaining pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the “OPEN” position.
- Carefully remove Pressure Cooker Lid when Duet has finished releasing all pressure.
- Check to see if beans are fully cooked (additional 5-10 min. may be needed).
- Add sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste, if needed. Remove bay leaf. Serve hot.