⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of very finely diced white onion
- ½ cup small diced celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef, chuck
- ½ pound ground pork or veal
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Set Skillet to 375ºF and add oil followed by onions, carrots, celery, garlic and let sweat for 10-12 minutes then take veggies out and set aside.
- Add beef and pork, set Skillet to 400ºF and cook until brown. Leave the fat in.
- Add veggie mix along with tomatoes, wine, and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- Reduce to 225ºF, cover and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Top with parsley and serve over pasta.
- Use a food processor to shred the carrots and celery.
- Use a potato masher to evenly break lumps of meat.
- Do not do skim off the fat while cooking, this is what makes it a true Bolognese.