Blueberry Lemon Cake w. Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 c butter, softened to room temperature
- 1¾ c sugar, granulated
- 1 T fresh lemon zest
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 2½ c all-purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- ¼ t baking soda
- ½ t sea salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- ½ c fresh lemon juice
- 2 c fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if frozen)
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ c butter, softened to room temperature
- 4½ c powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 t fresh lemon zest
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 T heavy cream
- Fresh lemon slices (for garnish)
- Fresh blueberries (for garnish)
For Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Coat with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy, 4-5 min. Add eggs and vanilla until and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Combine dry mixture into wet ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined and a few dry streaks remain. Add buttermilk and lemon juice and stir by hand, folding the batter until just combined.
- In another bowl, toss blueberries with 2 T flour. Add blueberries and remnants of flour to batter and fold in by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon until just combined. Do not overmix, as doing so may result in a tough, dry cake.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until just baked through. The top will spring back lightly to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out with moist crumbs but not wet batter.
- Let cakes cool for 5-10 minutes in pans before turning them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Whip cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2-3 min.
- Add powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and mix until creamy, 1-2 min. Add heavy cream and whip the frosting until very light and fluffy, 2-3 min.
- Once cake has cooled, spread frosting evenly over cake.