Black Bean Soup with Toasted Cumin and Cilantro
- 1T olive oil
- 1c onions, small dice
- 1T mild or hot chili powder
1½t whole cumin seeds
1½t dried oregano leaves
- 7c water
1lb (2½c) dried black beans, picked over, rinsed
- 4oz Spanish chorizo, small dice
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 2 large plum tomatoes, seeded, small dice
⅓c red onions, small dice
¼c cilantro, small dice
1 jalapeño (optional), seeded, diced
- 3T freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt
Set to "sear" and add oil. When heated, add onions, chili powder, cumin seeds, and oregano. Sauté, stirring frequently until onions soften, about 1 minute.
- Add water, beans, chorizo, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Close lid and lock. Set to "beans" and adjust for 30 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release until all pressure is released.
- Open and stir well, remove bay leaves, and add sea salt to taste. Let the soup sit with no heat on, it will thicken.
- Just before serving, in a bowl, prepare avocado salsa by tossing all ingredients together.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each portion with a large dollop of avocado salsa.