Beef Osso Buco with Gremolata
- 6 thick beef shank slices (1½ to 2 inches thick, about 3 lbs)
- 1 t vegetable oil
- 3 t kosher salt
- 1½ t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 T tomato paste
- 2 sprigs thyme (or 1t dried thyme)
- ½ t kosher salt
- 1 c chicken stock (preferably homemade)
- ½ c dry white wine
- 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 c parsley (leaves only)
- Trim fat off outsides of beef shanks. Season with 3t kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Press “SEAR” and add vegetable oil.
- Place half the shanks in and sear for 3 min. per side until well browned.
- Remove shanks and place in bowl. Add remaining shanks and repeat.
- Remove (pour or ladle out) all but 1T of the oil and fat in the cooker.
- Add onions, celery, carrot, garlic, tomato paste, and thyme to cooker.
Sprinkle with ½ t of kosher salt and sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and wine to deglaze bottom of cooker, loosening any browned bits.
- Return beef and any liquid back to pressure cooker and pour tomatoes on top.
- Place on Pressure Cooker Lid. Press “PRESSURE COOK”. Press “PROG” and use “START/PAUSE” dial to set to “Meat/Poultry” and adjust for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add minced garlic, lemon zest, and parsley leaves to make gremolata. Combine well.
- When beef shanks are done, natural release for 15 minutes. Afterward, quick release remaining pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the “OPEN” position.
- Carefully remove Pressure Cooker Lid when Duet has finished releasing all pressure. Remove beef from cooker and transfer to plate. Cover with foil and let rest.
- Pour (or ladle out) liquid sauce from pressure cooker into a glass fat separator. Let liquid rest for about 10 minutes to allow for fat to surface. When fat rises, pour remaining separated liquid into a gravy boat.
- To serve, plate one shank, pour some sauce over the top, and sprinkle gremolata on top.