- 1 (20-oz) bag bean mix
- 2qts water
- 2T vegetable oil
1 large jalapeño, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
½t kosher salt
¼c chili powder
- 2T ground cumin
- 1T ground coriander
- 1t dried oregano
¼t cocoa powder (optional)
⅛t ground cloves (optional)
- 1t kosher salt
- 6c water
- 1 (15-oz) can fire-roasted, crushed tomatoes
- 1t freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste (2t more kosher salt, optional)
- Lime wedges for serving
- Rinse beans and place in a large container. Cover with 2qts of water. Soak beans for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to cook, set to "sear" and add oil.
Add onions, jalapeño, garlic, and ½t of the salt. Sauté until onions are soft and brown around the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, cocoa powder, and cloves. Toast for 1 minute.
Drain and rinse beans. Pour into pressure cooker. Add ½t of the kosher salt. Stir to coat.
- Add 6c of water and tomatoes.
- Close lid and lock. Set to "beans" and adjust for 18 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release until all pressure is released.
Remove and puree 2c of the beans and liquid (use 4c from a wet measuring cup; use immersion blender).
- Stir puree back into cooker, adding in the fresh ground black pepper. Add kosher salt to taste and serve with lime wedges.